Friday 12 September 2014

Food for Beautiful Skin: Oats

As you may know already, I adore using oats as part of my skincare regime! I stopped using them for a while, and have recently began again in the past couple of weeks and I've been loving them so much. The main reason I'm using them more for my skin recently is actually because I've started to eat them again every morning for breakfast. I'm trying to eat as clean as I can, and we all know that breakfast cereals (even those marketed as being healthy) can be full of additives, preservatives and sugar. So oatmeal is a tasty, nutritious and delicious alternative.




How can eating oatmeal benefit our skin?
Oats are an amazing source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are absolutely one of the best things you can feed your skin! These fatty acids can help to regulate oil production in the skin, while also keeping it hydrated and plump. They can also work as an antioxidant that helps to protect your skin from UV damage and radiation from the sun. Omega-3 fatty acids also work to repair the skin, supporting and building up collagen which can ward off saggy skin and wrinkles. Compared with other whole grains on a per gram basis, oats have one of the highest concentrations of zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, thiamine and vitamin E. These are all skin loving ingredients that can help to boost a glowing, healthy complexion.

For breakfast or a snack
As I have mentioned, recently I've been eating oatmeal every morning. Because it keeps me full for a long time, I find that I'm far less likely to want to snack on something sugary a couple of hours later. For me, when I eat a lot of sugary food, it shows on my skin. It can become blotchy or prone to acne. So, when I'm craving something bold to eat in the evenings (like crisps or chocolate!), I've been having oatmeal with a squeeze of honey, and it really does satisfy any cravings. Don't get me wrong, I will still have my sugary/salty snacks, but because I know they can affect my skin, I try to eat them in moderation!

How to make creamy oatmeal without using milk
When I drink milk, it can aggravate my skin, so I always make oatmeal with water. I used to always hate the way it would never be creamy when made with water, and would look more like gruel, which was quite off putting! My new trick is to pop the oats with the right amount of boiling water over them into a pot and just leave them there to steep for about twenty minutes/half an hour. That way, the oats become soft and mushy and when you cook them they end up being lovely and creamy, ta-dah! I pop a bit of honey in with mine and it's a lovely tasty breakfast/snack.


When buying oats, check that there is no added sugar or syrups. Opt for steel-cut oats or rolled oats over instant ones. Instant oats can be quite processed in order to speed up their cooking time, making them more convenient. However, this reduces their health benefits and they contain considerably less nutrients and fibre than regular oats. I usually buy organic oats from a health-food store, just be sure to keep an eye on the label!

Sinéad








1 comment:

  1. I've been making lots of porridge recently too! I don't know what the health differences are but I've been making it with almond milk this week, mmm!

    ReplyDelete