Monday 22 September 2014

Food for Beautiful Skin: Avocados

Following on from the Skindividual post about my avocado face mask, I thought it would only be right to talk about how amazing this fruit is (yet I always think of it as a vegetable!) when incorporated into your diet.



Anti-Inflammatory properties
The phytonutrient compound found in avocados, such as polyphenols and flavonoids have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties. This will help to reduce any sort of rashes or acne on the skin's surface

Antioxidant Carotenoids for healthy skin
Alpa carotene, beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein are free radical quenching compounds found in the avocado. These compounds provide significant protection for your skin from the environmental damage that can lead to fine lines, wrinkles and other visible signs of ageing. They have also been thought to improve skin's density, thickness, tone and general appearance. 

The 'good fats'!
The monosaturated fats in avocados help to regulate blood sugar levels. These fats, along with the fruit's high fibre content will ensure that that blood sugar levels stay steady throughout the day when incorporate regularly into your diet!



If you're new to avocados....
Personally, I can be a little scared when introducing new foods into my diet, especially when I'm not exactly sure what dishes I can throw them into!
One thing I like to do with avocados is simply mash them up (basically guacamole!) which I serve with various things I eat, like omelettes, fajitas, sandwiches, etc.

Method
  • Scoop out half the flesh of a firm (so it's easy to mash) avocado 
  • Mash on a chopping board with a fork (it's fun!)
  • Sprinkle in some black pepper and the juice of half a lime, tasting as you add them. (Add whatever other seasonings you like!)
  • Scoop into a bowl and serve as an accompaniment to any dish!



Sinéad









No comments:

Post a Comment