Wednesday 8 October 2014

Food For Beautiful Skin: Sweet Potato Fries

I'm excited to show this recipe to you lovely readers, as it's so very simple to make and so very tasty! I'm someone who eternally craves unhealthy foods, but when I give into temptation too often, my skin pays the price. Greasy/unhealthy food for me = acne. I used to be so envious of my friends who could eat anything they wanted and still have clear skin, but now in a way I am thankful, because the reaction my skin gets has motivated me to find healthy and skin friendly alternatives to my favourite treats! And of course, I also strive to be healthy on the inside, and to have more energy from wholesome foods, so i'm happy to switch to a healthier alternative. Check out my previous post about the reasons why eating this versatile vegetable is good for your skin!

 So why not follow this recipe and give delicious sweet potato fries a try!

Paprika & Black Pepper Sweet Potato Wedges

What you'll need
Sweet potato
Coconut Oil (Or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Black Pepper
Paprika

Oven Temperature
220 or 240 if you prefer crispy wedges!


Choose a sweet potato that is medium sized and narrow. It's easy for cutting into wedges and the really large sweet potatoes have less flavour!

Method
  • Chop your sweet potato into wedges, like in the above picture. You can half each wedge if you like, but I like to keep mine this size.
  • Add in a good amount of coconut oil, 1-2 tablespoons. Alternatively, you can olive oil. I just love the taste and health benefits of coconut oil, which I will write about soon! Next, add some paprika and black pepper. I love spicy food, so I add in very generous amount of both of these! The flavours work so well together with the sweet potato.

  • Mix well!


  • Spread out evenly on a pre-heated oven tray. (Make sure it's really hot, you should hear a sizzling noise when you transfer them onto the try/foil!)  The timing really depends on the oven and how much your try has pre-heated, but on average I would say that these take about 20/25 mins to cook. Make sure you flip them over half way through to ensure that they are cooked evenly on both sides.



Et Voila, delicious healthy and golden sweet potato fries! I always serve mine with hummus, which people seem to really enjoy. All of the flavours just work so well together. In fact, writing this post has made me hungry so I'm off to cook some myself!


Happy cooking!


Sinéad





2 comments:

  1. Gonna try these at the weekend and stay away from the takeaways;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really delicious served with fried eggs, yum :)

      Delete